Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My Helper

The past few days have been challenging for my son and me. He's been sensitive and stubborn. I've been testy and impatient. We're in one of those phases where things feel difficult and tiring.

Hold on a second. I need to get something off my chest. Soapbox please. Sometimes it seems like there's not much tolerance for mom's to feel anything but blissful fondness towards their children. Come on moms, be happy and enjoy it all the time!

The reality is that a mother's emotions towards her children wax and wane. I'm no exception. Sometimes we have a blast. Sometimes we're creative together. Sometimes we cuddle and the contentment in those moments is almost tangible. And then there are times when we get on each others nerves. There are moments when you've given a whole lot of yourself and get nothing but anger or ungratefulness in return. Those times don't feel good at all. And although I try pretty darn hard to not let how I'm feeling control how I act, I've certainly failed at this. I'm trying to teach Silas along the way that we're all imperfect and it's ok to ask for forgiveness, even if it's from your child.

But the point of this post was to take a moment during this difficult time to be thankful for one of the many good qualities God has put in this little boy. Here's one.

Silas loves to be useful. He's stinkin good at helping. If I sweep he loves to follow behind with his little broom. If I do the dishes he climbs up on his stool next to me and uses his scrub brush. And lately he's been helping with the laundry. And not just "helping" me. He actually loads and unloads the washer and dryer. What a blessing it is to watch him light up at the chance to help others.

In easy and hard times, I am ever thankful to be his mother. 

 

 

I'm going to remind myself of all this when he wakes me up at 5:36a.m. to inform me "Isss mawneen time Mommy!" 

It's ok Angie. He'll do the laundry later.

1 comment:

  1. Accentuate the positive... eliminate the negative! Well, don't eliminate it... that might mean eliminating family members sometimes, but don't dwell on it. There are some days when you just have to make a positive effort to tolerate your kids. Keep on truckin'! :)

    ReplyDelete