Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rematch

Parents vs. The Pacifier
Friday night @ 8:30
Be afraid. Be very afraid.



 Here's how our initial defeat went down. 
4/2/09
      As many of you know, we took Silas' pacifier away two Friday's ago. We told it bye bye and gave it hugs and kisses and threw it in the trash can. Well, after a few horrible first days, he finally got to where he would go to sleep at night pretty good and sleep through the night. BUT for two whole weeks he has not taken a nap. Let me clarify, for two whole weeks he cries for about 2 hours in bed before he finally passes out around 4:30 or 5:00 and sleeps for about 30 minutes and wakes up the crankiest little boy you've ever seen. And I'm not exaggerating when I say this has happened every single day.  
       I was telling Brian the other day that I dont know how much longer I can do this because it breaks my heart to leave him in bed for so long just crying. So today I called Brian and told him that we have to do something because I can't do this anymore and I was trying not to cry. So we decided we would let him have it just for naps and not at night or while we drive or any other time so he doesn't have it in his mouth that many hours a day. Here is the funny part. I went upstairs to give it to him and when I walked in he was standing holding the rail, crying. When he saw it he gasped and opened his mouth real big. I was planning on rocking him and singing to him for a while but when I handed it to him, he (in extreme slow motion) put it in his mouth, laid down on his pillow, and closed his eyes. 
      I felt like I was giving a drug addict his crack pipe back. Right now he is sweetly dreaming and sucking away at his pacifier. I don't know what we'll do now but it was so funny/amazing to see the effect that thing has. All I know is that I'll never again judge those enabling family members on Intervention who go and buy drugs for the addict. On a small scale, I think I get it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh goodness. My advice (which, by the way, I did not at all follow myself) is to take the paci away before they learn how to say "paci". I was determined to take away Lily's paci when she turned one, but doddled just long enough for her to learn to say "mau" (which means 'paci' because it goes in your 'mouth' get it?) Anyway, now she is nearly two and I'm dreading taking it away. She ONLY gets it when she sleeps, but I still feel like it should be long gone. Sigh. Let me know when you figure out how to take it away painlessly :)

    my word verification is "march" which is when Lily's birthday is. Maybe it's a sign that I'm supposed to take the paci away in March?

    ReplyDelete