Sunday, October 18, 2009

goodbye for now

Tonight my sweet grandma is free from a body that was failing her and a life without her husband who she loved. I am smiling knowing she is with Jesus, who she also loved, but crying as I miss her and remember what she meant to me.



Having Grandma meant authentic excitement meeting me outside before I got to the front door.

Having Grandma meant KitKats and Ding Dongs from the refrigerator drawer.

Having Grandma meant angel food birthday cakes and songs taught to me on the piano.



Having Grandma meant posing for many many pictures and realizing later that she was able to see the sometimes well-hidden beauty within.





Having Grandma meant me and Krissy going on walks to help her stay in shape. Although, much to our excitement, we would usually find the destination of our healthful exercise was to get Arby's roast beef sandwiches.

Having Grandma meant having a spectator who drove a long way to cheer for me at a soccer game.



Having Grandma meant seeing how a husband and wife should enjoy each other and laugh together.



Having Grandma meant discovering a drawer where she kept every letter I had written her as a child and realizing that being my pen-pal meant as much to her as it did to me.

Having Grandma meant feeling truly loved and wanted during a childhood when that was hard to come by at times.

She is proof that a grandparent can be powerful in a child's life. How blessed I am to have had a grandma with so much love to give.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that Angie. I know she was a great blessing,a nd I'm sure you're passing on her spirit to your kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh!!! i'm so mad at you... i was doing so good with it til you posted this. as i was lying in bed, i heard my phone beep and to my astonishment, another blog from angie. usually these make my days so much better, so i thought, sure i can sit up and read it,, i'm having a down day. little did i know what i was about to read...

    i love you so much grandma, and you are such a great example to everyone that knew you. i cant wait to watch you and grandpa dance again one day... i know you are with him right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thinking of you ang

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beatiful tribute to your wonderful Grandma. I'm so glad you had her in your life!

    ReplyDelete